Monday, October 11, 2010

Childbirth Classes

Husband and I attended our first childbirth class! Overall it was a great experience, but it was a longgg night! There were about 7 other couples, some husbands and some mom's of the women--it as a pretty diverse group. It was facilitated by one of the O.B. nurses at the hospital which was cool because she could potentially be a nurse working when we go into labor. 

Basically we introduced ourselves, did a few icebreakers, watched a few videos, talked about anatomy and physiology and learned/practiced some relaxation techniques for labor.

One of the videos we watched was a "real labor" video from the 90's. I have seen birthing videos before, so it was of no surprise, but to Husband it was a complete surprise. Fortunately, he was not scared by it and actually found it to be more tolerable than he ever imagined possible. He was a little disturbed by the umbilical cord for some reason, though. Haha 

*Funny Moment*
As we were watching the 90's video, there was a woman standing in the shower moaning during labor... she had the shower head pointed to her belly and was wearing this ridiculous tank top thing. Personally, I thought it was hilarious but tried to keep my snickers inside... UNTIL I heard Husband holding back a laugh and when I looked at him we both busted out in laughter. You basically had to be there, but we had a weak moment. 

On the way home, Husband told me he will be trying to make me laugh during labor as a technique. Hopefully it wards off all pain. haha If he just reminds me of the video we watched on our first Childbirth session, I am sure I will at LEAST crack a smile :) 

------------
On a completely random note, I am pretty darn sure baby has found her way to my rib cage! Yikes! But it means she is growing and getting BIG! yay!

1 comment:

  1. I so loved the childbirth videos for my class too. The one I saw had this doctor explaining everything that was happening and she had these huge fish lips that made Angelina's look thin. And the frizzy ridiculous hair of the 90s just topped it off! I couldn't stop snickering and it just made Tyler laugh more too. I thought for sure we'd get kicked out!

    ReplyDelete